Choosing a Driver Training School
Remember that you are making an investment in your future. When choosing a driver training school, do not be afraid to ask questions.
Common questions that you should ask are:
- Is your school licensed? Are your instructors licensed? Ask to see the licenses.
- Can I see a written policy of your rates (including all charges), hours, number of people in a training vehicle and refunds? The school must provide this to you.
- Does your school offer an ICBC-Approved Driver Education Course?
- Can I see a course outline?
- Do you use various methods of instruction (e.g., one-on-one, classroom groups, etc.)?
- How experienced are your instructors? How much recent training have they had?
- How do you involve parents/guardians or qualified supervisor education?
- How do you keep your practice vehicles safe and well maintained?
- Do you have a vehicle with standard transmission if I want to learn to drive one?
- What do I need to have/bring/do before starting your course (i.e., type of clothing, equipment, gear, etc.)?
- If with a previous driving school, why did you leave, call the previous employer to find out as this person will be with your child and it's important you know the past history of the school and instructor!
- Finally, ask other people: Have you heard good things about the school?